Projects : DCE : Experience
U-M's Experience With the OSF's DCE
The University intends to use DCE as a key piece of its
strategy to achieve interoperability across a heterogeneous
environment. The first DCE service up will be Security. We hope
to have RPC-based applications running next year. We also intend
to start rolling out DFS next year.
DCE Users Group of Michigan
- Used by CITI staff
- 30 users, 35 machines
- Servers: RS/6000 (IBM DCE 1.3 code)
- Clients: RS/6000, Sun, HP, PC (windows, windows NT, OS/2)
- Regular backups done
- Intercell communication through DNS
- DFS used extensively
- User home directories
- Used for large builds
- 5 Gig disk space
- 2 file server machines
- Looking at security and CDS replication
- Testing OSF DCE 1.1 code
- Partnership between CITI and IBM from 1993-96
- Services Provided:
- Customized training and briefings on
- Multivendor interoperability lab for prototyping
- Help for customers in building pilot applications
- CITI Projects Showcase
- Business Case for Client/Server Computing
- Planning a Client/Server Implementation
- Getting Stated With DCE
- DCE Features and Functionality (based on OSF)
- DCE Applications Programming (based on OSF)
- DCE System Administration (based on OSF)
- DCE Internals (based on OSF)
- 95-1 Adamson, A., Rees, J., and Honeyman, P.,
"Joining Security Realms: A Single Login for Netware
and Kerberos", February 1995.
- 95-2 Khandker, M.A., Honeyman, P., and Teorey, T.J.,
"Performance of DCE RPC", January 1995.
- 95-4 Blumson, S., Carter, M., and Hyde, D.,
"Automatic Insertion of Performance Instrumentation
for Distributed Applications", February 1995.
- 94-1 Carter, M., "Adding 50,200 Users to a DCE
Registry: A comparison of OSF DCE V1.0.2 and IBM DCE/6000
V1.2", February 1994
- 94-2 Lever, C., "Using DCS without DCE/LFS",
- 93-4 Howe, J., "an Environment for 'Sniffing'
DCE-RPC Traffic", June 1993.
- CITI Tech reports are available electronically vis AFS
and by anonymous FTP to "citi.umich.edu",
copies of the Tech reports.
- DCE-ized tools: xlock, console/telnet login, ftpd.
- a collection of tools (shell scripts) for installing,
configuring, administering, and living with DCE and DFS.
- DFS Test Tools - extensions to Expect (TCP based tool) to
talk directly to a DFS file server to perform operations
as getting a fid for a file, opening the file and reading
- Demographics Demonstration Program (DDP)
- Data Access with DCE (DAD) - access to RDBMS
- DCE Web
- Secure Web Access to Legacy Data
- Accessing Student Records (Mandarin)
- Big Ten Project (sharing transcripts)
- Visual DCE (Gradient)
- Connection/DCE (Open Horizon)
- Entera (Open Environment Corporation)
- DATE (Bull)
- EOS (Ellery Systems, Inc.)
- Encina (Transarc)
- OODCE (Hewlett-Packard)
- Ted Hanss - Director, CITI - Chairman of the OSF End User
- Sarr Blumson - Senior SRP, Information Technology
Division - co-author of DCE RFC 33
- Technical participation in DCE SIG, Security SIG.